Vitamins are a huge trend right now, especially when you’re dieting and cutting things out of your diet it’s important to get all of the nutrients your body needs! I started taking vitamins as a kid because I have low iron. Low iron, for me, means that I have poor circulation to my hands and feet (and I’m ALWAYS cold), I bruise really easily, and I’ve only been able to give blood once in my whole life. I started off pretty basic with a multi-vitamin but as I started to learn more about vitamins I started to add more on until I was taking like 10 different things that I thought I needed. It was not good. After lots of trial and error I’ve finally got it dialed down to a list of vitamins that I take every day, and here it is:
- Multi-vitamin for Women with Omega-3s: this is a good baseline vitamin that covers my bases without overloading anything. I like it because it gives me a good baseline for my nutrient levels and makes me feel confident that even if I’m missing something that I should be taking, I’m covered.
- Vitamin C: you guys know I’m a college student. That means I live with a lot of people with a lot more people coming in and out of my personal space all the time. College students are germy little boogers, I swear we’re worse than preschoolers, and I spent freshman and sophomore year with a perpetual sinus infection. That changed when I started taking Vitamin C! I also have Emergen-C that I take when everyone around me starts getting sick because I’m paranoid and I hate being sick. Either way, I highly recommend it.
- Biotin: Hair, Skin, and Nails… the ultimate female vanity combo. I’m true to myself and I don’t try to change because the media says I should, but I still care about my appearance! This vitamin is great for me because I torture my hair, skin, and nails with beauty products and heat tools. I color my hair, sleep in my makeup more often than I should, and chip off gel polish because I’m lazy and broke (I’m the worst). This vitamin helps me bounce back from that grossness that I do and helps keep me looking decent enough to leave the house!
- Calcium: I cannot stand milk. It is nasty. I don’t like it. Why the heck would I want to consume something that comes out of a cow’s udder? Have you ever seen a milk cow? I just can’t do it. Buuuut osteoporosis runs in my family and I’m not about to have to deal with that when I’m old so I make up for it by taking calcium supplements! *No cows are harmed in the making of these vitamins*
- Iron Supplements: I talked about this a little bit already, but these are crucial for me. I have low iron and these supplements help manage my symptoms! It’s so embarrassing to be covered in random bruises and constantly have to explain to people that I’m not getting beat up, I actually don’t even remember bumping it and it doesn’t hurt! It’s not a perfect solution but it works for me.
- B12: Okay so this one isn’t an everyday thing, it’s an as needed thing. I don’t like to drink caffeine other than in preworkout, so this is what I use on days when I need a pick me up! It’s effective and it doesn’t affect my body the way caffeine does. I’ll write a whole post about why you shouldn’t drink a million cups of coffee later, but if you’re trying to cut back I highly recommend B12!
So there you have it folks – my 5 daily vitamins and one bonus vitamin!! I do take the Nature Made brand so if you’re looking for one that’s definitely what I recommend. Everyone’s needs are different but this is a good place to start if you want to get your nutrients in balance and start feeling better. It made a huge difference for me and I hope it helps you too!